Vegetable Rice is a simple and quick recipe. You may make fresh rice or use boiled white leftover rice. The special tadka of vegetables with spices make these vegetable rice aromatic and delicious in taste. I have used here the leftover rice.
As a kid, I had always loved rice. I believe that I am still in love with it. Whether we call it a pulao or veg tehri or vegetable rice, the best thing is the aroma of spices mixing with rice.
The recipe is quite similar to Veg Pulao with the difference that here the rice are already cooked and added to sauteed vegetables and also the variety of vegetables is more.
The other thing is that I make veg pulao in pressure cooker. Some like it in Kadai. In veg Pulao, I include just onion, tomato and peas. Thats why I make vegetable rice where one may include lot of vegetables.
Key to delicious Rice
The use of spices play an important role in rice recipes. Indian spices are the wonderful and an Indian Kitchen incomplete without them.
The Khada Masale like Bayleaf, Clove, Cinnamon, Black Pepper, Red Chilly added to rice or for that matter few curries take the recipe to altogether a different level.
I was a naive in Kitchen but over years with dedication and right guidance from my mother-in-law, I believe I am in a great position to keep a log of our family recipes.
In a way, this is my way of sharing my cooking tips with the world and preserving it too. I have used desi ghee for the tadka. You may use any oil of your choice. In our family, we use mainly desi ghee and mustard oil. Rice taste really wonderful with desi ghee.
Nutrition In Rice
Rice is rich in carbohydrates, vitamin B, folate and magnesium. SInce its high in starch and low in fibre, its very easy for digestion. Infact, my mother used to make plain Jeera Rice for us when we had stomach pain or gastric infections.
Trust me, these desi tips had done wonders to my kids too and sometimes we forget to check with doctor as we have learnt the art of using home remedies.
This is a kids-friendly recipe as for kids who are picky eaters, vegetable rice is a great choice. Mixing several veggies which are nutrient-rich in one recipe is worth trying and as kids get attracted to colors, this recipe offers them a colorful and tasteful experience!!
I love rice with dahi and chutney along with fresh sliced onions. What do you love to have rice with??
Do share your experience with me.
You may also like:
If you make this recipe, share the image of it on our instagram account @veg.buffet or twitter account @vegbuffet
Vegetable Rice Recipe
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 small carrot chopped
- ½ cup peas
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 small bayleaf (Tejpatta)
- 1 or 2 piece cloves (Laung)
- 1 small cinnamon (Dalchini)
- 4 cup boiled rice
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder(haldi)
- 2 teaspoon Red chilli powder (Lal Mirch) can reduce if you like less spicy
- 1 small Whole red chilli optional
- a pinch Hing (asaeoftida)
- 1 teaspoon Garm Masala
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice Can use Amchur powder as well (1 tsp)
- 1.5 tablespoon Desi ghee May use any other oil
- salt as per taste
- Wash vegetables in running water. Chop the vegetables in small chunks. You may take any veggies of your choice. Being in lockdown, my choices were limited.
- Take the Whole spices like Bayleaf, cinnamon, Clove. You may add whole black pepper as well.
- You may use fresh rice as well. You need to soak them in water and put after veggies are cooked . Add 2.5 times water along with rice to cook them in steam.
- Take Desi Ghee in hevay bottomed Kadai. Add Jeera and Heeng along with whole spices: bayleaf, cloves, cinnamon and red chilly
- Once spices splutter and become aromatic, add Onions and cook till they are transparent. It takes around one min.
- You may cook more as some people like onions more brown.
- Add Carrots and peas along with little salt so that it cooks soon. You may also cover it with lid. If you are adding any other veggies, you may add that along with carrot.
- Once carrots become tender (depending on which veggies you have used, it might take max 10 min), add spices and tomatoes with more salt.
- Add lemon juice once tomatoes are cooked( you would know when tomatoes leave ghee)
- Add already boiled rice and Mix well. If you add fresh raw rice, you may add here along with 2.5 times (of rice qty) water. Cover with lid. If soaked rice are used, it takes around 10-15 min for rice to cook.
- The delicious and rempting vegetable rice is ready!! Serve it with your choice of chutney and curd. Enjoy!!
|Serving size: 1 people|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7.1g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 4.1g||20%|
|Total Carbohydrate 34.7g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.5g||13%|
|Total Sugars 5.5g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Share your Views