Brown Rice pulao is a healthy choice for people looking for weight-loss diets without losing upon the taste factor!
Healthy Veg Brown Rice Pulao is a simple recipe of Rice with variety of vegetables cooked in pressure cooker for low-calorie and weight-loss diet
Brown Rice and how it helps in weight loss?
Before I dive into the recipe, I would talk about the brown rice. In simple terms, Brown Rice is unprocessed white rice with loads of fibre. White rice loses the nutrient germ and bran during its processing which remain intact in case of brown rice.
This means that white rice become less healthy in comparison to the brown. White rice has more Glycemic Index (GI). High GI indicates that food is easily absorbed and carbs are converted to glucose, which means the blood sugar level rises. White rice become more of the carbs supply and hence not a great choice people on diet plan and diabetics.
Fibre helps to lower the GI and brown rice as a part of your diet can help you lose weight and control blood sugar.
To add to this, its an amazing choice for Gluten allergic people.
Is it Vegan Brown Rice?
Yes brown rice is surely vegan. Replace desi ghee by any other oil and this whole recipe is purely vegan!
Taste and Cooking Time
- Brown rice is surely not as delicious as you find the white rice. Its your choice to make: healthy food or food for tongue!
- Brown rice doesnt go well with curries like its counter parts. You will slowly adapt to its taste and then you may experiment it with gravy dishes.
- To begin with, its chewy and doesnt feel sweet as its counterpart. It would be better to start cooking it as a Pulao or Khichdi mixed with vegetables of your choice and team it with Dahi , papad and salad.
- Its not easy to cook. Cooking time generally depends more on the variety / brand. In general, you may soak it for one hour (in hot water for better results). Add almost three times the water. So for one bowl of raw rice, three bowls of water.
- They will not be cooked in 1-2 whistles. Give them 2 whistles on full and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Dont release the pressure. Let it cool itself and open it 15 min after it cools off.
This recipe involves the ingredients that you can easily arrange from your Kitchen pantry. Vegetables of your choice: onion, tomato, cauliflower, peas, carrot, beans etc. Spices like cinnamon, Bayleaf, black cardamom, whole black pepper, cloves, Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder, Salt.
The most important ingredient is the oil and the brown rice that you use. I always prefer Desi Ghee. Just 2 tsp for five people is not a bad deal! I have used India Gate variety of Brown rice.
Since you are still reading, I appreciate your efforts towards a healthy living!
This is not really a family recipe. Just like you, I have also been inspired to lead a healthy lifestyle from past few years. I know its a tough road but all we need is a simple handy recipe that doesnt involve too many steps and that we can easily correlate to our existing cooking styles.
Here comes my saviour: my sister-in-law a perfectionist in all that she does and specially in kitchen, ratios, cooking time, just like my mother-in-law.
This recipe is hers and she has been on a gluten-free diet from quite sometime and it was really simple once someone from family guides you.
It removes all the hiccups that you generally face when you try things in kitchen afresh.
Save your efforts by grabbing this amazing hassle-free recipe. As mentioned, procure all the stuff. Chop vegetables as you like in Pulao : small or large chunks. Soak the rice for at least 40 minutes.
Use pressure cooker for the best results. I know Kadai is a great option for getting an aromatic Pulao. But here we have Brown rice, which might not be that tempting!
We aim to cook it in way that motivates us to continue this weight-loss journey.
I love Desi ghee and if you are following me, by now you know that I bake in desi ghee too!
Choose the oil that suits you. Make sure to use as minimum as possible. We wish to saute vegetables little bit. The cooking would be done by cooker so need not worry about sauteeing it too much.
This eliminates the need of any extra oil that is required for sautéing longer.
Add vegetables with salt, spices. Add water and pressure cook for 2 whistles on full, simmer for 15 min.
Thats it! We are done. Enjoy these rice with Dahi!
Detailed Recipe with Steps
1) Gather all the veggies and brown rice. Soak brown rice in warm/hot water for about 40 min. Wash vegetables under running water.
2) Chop veggies as you like it in small or large chunks.
3) Take pressure cooker and add 2 tsp desi ghee. Add bay leaf, black cardamom. I was short for other spices, you may add cloves, black pepper etc. Once its aromatic, add Jeera. As it splutters, add Chopped garlic. (you may grate it even)
4) Add onions. Once they are transparent add green chilly and tomatoes.
5) Add spices like red chilly, haldi and garm masala. Add salt and vegetables like cauliflower, beans, carrots.
6) Mix well and add peas.. Make sure to remove the rice from water in which they were soaked.
7) Add water to rice in the ratio 3:1. So , one portion of rice and three portion of water. Add more salt and mix well.
8) Put the lid on and give a pressure of 2 whistles on full. Simmer for 15 min. dont release the pressure. Let it cool off itself and open 15 min after it cools off.
9) The Veg Brown Rice Pulao are ready. Serve with your choice of chutney, Papad and dahi!
More Rice Recipes:
Healthy Veg Brown Rice Pulao
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 large onion
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup peas
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup cauliflower
- 1.75 cups brown rice (raw)
- 5-6 cups water three times of rice
- 2 tsp desi ghee
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 big black cardamom optional
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp haldi powder
- 1 tsp Garm Masala
- 2 tsp Jeera
- salt as per taste
- Gather all the veggies and brown rice. Soak brown rice in warm/hot water for about 40 min. Wash vegetables under running water.
- Chop veggies as you like it in small or large chunks.
- Take pressure cooker and add 2 tsp desi ghee. Add bay leaf, black cardamom. I was short for other spices, you may add cloves, black pepper etc. Once its aromatic, add Jeera. As it splutters, add Chopped garlic. (you may grate it even)
- Add onions. Once they are transparent add green chilly and tomatoes.
- Add spices like red chilly, haldi and garm masala. Add salt and vegetables like cauliflower, beans, carrots.
- Mix well and add peas.. Make sure to remove the rice from water in which they were soaked.
- Add water to rice in the ratio 3:1. So , one portion of rice and three portion of water. Add more salt and mix well.
- Put the lid on and give a pressure of 2 whistles on full. Simmer for 15 min. dont release the pressure. Let it cool off itself and open 15 min after it cools off.
- The Veg Brown Rice Pulao are ready. Serve with your choice of chutney, Papad and dahi!
|Serving size: people|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3.5g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 1.5g||7%|
|Total Carbohydrate 36.9g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|
|Total Sugars 0g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?