Today is the coldest day so far in December. The chill in wind reminded me of my childhood days when my mother used to make the special soup of winters.
It used to have loads of ginger and garlic and she used to add Makhane to it and call it Chhit (Punjabi Special Winter Soup). My father just loved it. It was made every three days in peak winter season.
Those days we used to have longer winters in India. We virtually grew up having this special soup as it was not just any soup but it had the capability to ward off cold and cough and keep us warm enough in winters. Also it enhances the digestion too.
We all know the benefits that we get from ginger and garlic. They aid in digestion and less calorie diet they help lose weight fast. If taken empty stomach, garlic helps manage Blood Pressure and reduces Cholesterol levels.
I modified the recipe a bit and added tomatoes too as my husband and daughter love tomato soup. So today I had a great thing boiling up in my kitchen and everybody asking me whats the special soup made me nostalgic.
Hope you enjoy it too!!.
Tomato Ginger Garlic Soup
- 2 large Tomatoes
- 0.25 cup ginger Chopped
- 5 cloves garlic Chopped
- 2 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Desi Ghee
- Salt and Black Pepper as per taste
- Wash Tomatoes, Ginger and Garlic under running tap.
- Chop Ginger and Garlic in large chunks and blend in blender.
- Use some water for blending it to a thick paste.
- Take Out Ginger Garlic paste and Put Chopped Tomatoes in Blender Jar.
- Make a thick puree of tomatoes in blender. You can use a hand blender for tomatoes.
- Take a pan with lid. Add Desi Ghee to it and add Ginger and garlic paste to it.
- Saute it on simmer for a min. Add fresh Tomato puree. Cook it for 2min.
- When tomatoes are fully cooked, they would leave ghee on sides of pan.
- Add water and boil on full flame and then simmer for 2 min.. Generally this soup is of thin consistency but you can add water as per consistency desired.
- The Tomato Ginger Garlic Soup is ready, You can serve it with Jeera rice or breads of your choice. Hope you Enjoy it!!
|Serving size: 1 bowl
|Amount per serving
|% Daily Value*
|Total Fat 1.5g
|Saturated Fat 0.8g
|Total Carbohydrate 5.9g
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g
|Total Sugars 2.5g
|Vitamin D 0mcg
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.