Mango Kesari is Suji halwa flavoured with Kesar and Mangoes. Kesar is a flavour that brings Halwa to another level of taste and joy!
Since its peak summer here and Mango is the king of fruits for summer, I tried for the first time Mango Kesari.
Making Suji Halwa is something which I do very often. I learnt every stroke of Kitchen from my mother-in-law and I am so glad that I learnt it from the perfect person on earth.
She was adept in ratios and trust me ratios do matter when it comes to cooking. I am not saying that we cant cook without knowing the right proportions. Making it a perfect dish all comes from the right ratios and right timing!!
Who else loves Halwa?
Well everyone in my family! I start getting demands on a very short notice at times as kids know I can quickly get them a delicious bowl of this healthy treat.
What makes it healthy?
Where shall I start...
Mangoes are rich in Vitamin A, C and K and you know what forget about the sugar and carbs it offers. I remember as a kid I could eat at least three of them in a row. They used to be so juicy and delicious.
Our mom would make us sit on floor to have mangoes as after having lots of them, we used to be soaked in its juice. What a messy eater I was!!
While I go down the memory lane, I wish to freeze time for few minutes to absorb it all over again!
The another important ingredient is Desi Ghee. You would love this amazing recipe if you make halwa using desi ghee. I always use desi ghee to make halwa.
Trust me upon this, its amazing and you would always have two bowls! How healthy its to have desi ghee, you may find more about its benefits in my article Is desi ghee healthy?
Back to the recipe, saute Suji in desi ghee on simmer as we wish to have aromatic and great taste in Halwa. It takes around 10-15 min and slowly the suji leaves ghee.
At that point we add mango puree and then the sugar water which is flavoured with kesar(saffron) and cardamom. Once you add water, suji starts thickening. You may let water evaporate till it becomes a one thick lump. Thats it!!
Our delicious Mango Kesari is ready! Remember to share your experience with me!!
You may also like -
Mango Kesari | How to Make Mango Kesari
- ½ cup Suji
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup mango puree
- few strands Kesar (Saffron)
- 5 small cardamom
- 1.5 tablespoon Desi ghee
- Gather all the ingredients. For Suji/ Rava/ Semolina, I have used the brand Rajdhani. You may use any brand. I have used Safeda Mango as they are sweet and juicy.
- Take a heavy bottomed Kadai/Pan. Add desi ghee to it.
- Add Suji to the ghee in Kadai. Make the flame simmer as we wish to roast suji slowly. It takes around 10 min to do that. Believe me, slower this process is, delicious your Halwa would be.
- Mix them well and keep sauteing so that suji is uniformly roasted.
- In the Mean time, you may make the sugary water. You may take around 2 cups of water. The ratio of Suji and water is 1: 4. Boil water and add sugar. If mangoes are sweet, you may reduce sugar.
- Add coarsely grounded Cardamom and Kesar. Once the sugar is dissolved fully, you may switch off the flme.
- Suji has become brown and left the ghee on the sides of kadai. I am sure the house would be aromatic with ghee and roasted suji!!
- Add The mango puree
- Mix well. Add the sugary water by sieving so that cardamom peels dont come in halwa.
- Slowly, suji absorbs the water. you may increase the flame. But be careful, we shall roast it till the water evaporates and it becomes a thick big lump.
- Once it happens, halwa leaves ghee.
- The utterly delicious Mango Kesari is ready!!
|Serving size: 1 bowl|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5.3g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 3.2g||16%|
|Total Carbohydrate 44.6g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|
|Total Sugars 32.3g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|