How about a soothing bowl of soup that can easily ward off cold and cough, is kids friendly, and boosts immunity?
and all that can be made in just 10 minutes!
Ginger Garlic Soup is a winter soup made using loads of ginger and garlic in a tomato gravy and teamed up with bread. This 3-ingredient vegetarian soup can be ready easily within 10 minutes.
Can you believe that such an easy recipe is not only tasty but is a healer?
This ginger and garlic soup is a great home remedy for cold and cough for all age groups and is ideal for weight loss too.
Well, I have been having this soup ever since I can remember, and trust me I never had a cold. It’s only recently that I started having allergic colds owing to high pollution levels in the city.
Making this gluten-free soup is as easy as thinking of having it. No special purchases are required to make this winter special soup. All we need is tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and desi ghee.
Those who have been reading my blog know how much I love desi ghee. (So much so the desserts are baked in it). You may use any other oil but you have to take my word on this:
This soup is not just a meal, it works as a medicine. To make it work like that, we shall preferably use desi ghee.
What to team with this Immunity Booster Soup for Cold?
- Whole Wheat Focaccia Bread
- Vegan Gluten Free Healthy Red Pasta
- Veg Beetroot Tacos
- Veg Wheat Savoury Crepes
- Pumpkin Aloo Tikki Burger
Stories from Kitchen
Generally, the stories section comes later in my blogs. This soup is really really close to my heart and it takes me back to my roots where some memories are hard-wired.
Must I mention the recipe creator of this one is my father. He was no-cook but he could tell us all about food. He would tell us that what food should we have in winters. If we dislike something, he could also tell us ways to have it.
The original recipe name is ‘Chhith’ as Punjabis called it. It is actually not supposed to have tomatoes. The authentic recipe has just ghee with lots of ginger and garlic.
Its made purposely like a thin watery soup so that it works best as a medicine for the body during peak winters.
To make it kids-friendly, I have added tomatoes. My mom used to add few Makhanas (foxnuts) to make it more attractive. Father would add it to his bowl of daal to easily have it during meals.
Note: Since ginger and garlic are added in large quantities here and both are hot in nature (Taseer), this soup is recommended only for winters and BP/heart patients might ask their doctors before having it.
Garlic Ginger Soup Benefits
Losing weight is a journey and focus on a bigger picture: Having a healthy regime. That involves low-sugar, low-calorie foods (with few cheat meals per week) and shall be healthy.
For ages, ginger and garlic have been included in daily diet owing to their immunity-boosting and anti-inflammatory properties. Garlic being rich in vitamin b6, C, and minerals like manganese, calcium, and potassium, is great for your digestive gut.
Since this soup is low-calorie and nutrient-packed, it promises to be a perfect healthy weight-loss meal.
How to make it Vegan?
You may replace desi ghee with any other vegan oil like coconut or almond to make it a vegan recipe.
The recipe involves coarse grinding the garlic and ginger. One may make a smooth paste if you don’t like the tiny chunks in the soup. Then in the same grinder, make a paste of 5-6 tomatoes.
That’s it. Take a pan and add desi ghee. Add ginger-garlic paste. Roast for a min. Then add tomatoes paste. Let it cook for 2 min on simmer.
Add salt, black pepper, and water as per your liking. Give it a good boil.
Serve it with rice or bread.
1)Gather all the ingredients and wash the veggies under tap. Peel off ginger and garlic and roughly chop them. Blend them coarsely. If you like a smooth paste, add little water.
2) Take washed tomatoes and grind them in a thick paste. Take an open pan preferably thick-bottomed (so that nothing sticks to it). Add desi ghee or oil of your choice.
3) Once the ghee is hot, add ginger-garlic paste. Let it cook for 1 min on simmer. Add tomatoes paste. Cook it for 2-3 min on simmer. (you may cover with lid for better cooking) Keep sautéing in-between. Add salt and black pepper.
4) Add water as per the consistency you desire. I like this soup as thin soup. Boil water for 3 min.
5) The ginger garlic soup is ready. Have this soothing soup for a healthy you. Garnish with coriander leaves.
You may also like:
Healthy Weight-loss Soups:
- Jaggery Paratha Churma | How to make an Authentic Haryanvi Churma
- 14 Pumpkin Vegetarian Recipes | How to make Healthy Pumpkin Recipes
- Roasted Pumpkin Spinach Salad | How to make Gluten-Free Vegan Salads
Ginger Garlic Soup
- 10 gm Ginger 2-3 tsp (grated/ blended)
- 10 cloves garlic
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 tbsp desi ghee can use other cooking oil
- 2 cups water can adjust
- 1 tsp black pepper
- salt as per taste
- Gather all the ingredients and wash the veggies under tap. Peel off ginger and garlic and roughly chop them. Blend them coarsely. If you like a smooth paste, add little water.
- Take washed tomatoes and grind them in a thick paste. Take an open pan preferably thick bottomed (so that nothing sticks to it). Add desi ghee or oil of your choice.
- Once ghee is hot, add ginger-garlic paste. Let it cook for 1 min on simmer. Add tomatoes paste. Cook it for 2-3 min on simmer. (you may cover with lid for better cooking) Keep sautéing in-between. Add salt and black pepper.
- Add water as per the consistency you desire. I like this soup as thin soup. Boil water for 3 min.
- The tomato ginger garlic soup is ready. Have this soothing soup for a healthy you. Garnish with coriander leaves.
|Serving size: bowl|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 1.6g||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 10.2g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||9%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|