Looking for a healthy Evening Snack that can fill your hunger pangs and satisfy the taste buds as well. Read on for this great Shakarkandi Recipe!
Sweet Potato (locally called Shakarkandi) Pie eggless are amazing desserts made using wheat flour to make the tart shells and the boiled sweet potato for the pie filling.
An easy eggless recipe that can be made a day in advance for the guests. Its flavoured with cinnamon and cardamom powder and the natural sweetness of sweet Potato makes the blend perfect!!
Why Sweet Potato Pie?
To tell you honestly, I bought Sweet potato for making Tikkis as I love savoury dishes. So much so that I had Green chutney ready for that too.
Its just at the last moment when I was taking out the boiled ones from the cooker something happened. As if it whispered, I am Sweet so make something sweet.
My mind analyzed a few quick changes and the very next moment you can see me mashing the sweet potato with a fork and blending in sugar and cinnamon cardamom spices.
A sweet surprise!
Mind is a strong and a great player indeed.
..and till now I had no clue what trick it played on me.
Stories behind the recipe
Have you ever been to the local Shakarkandi wala Bhaiya?
Being Indian is a proud feeling to me! Foodies of India can tell all the good places or as I may call them ‘Streets’ that have amazing food!
We all share this skill and a person like me would shop later and eat first. Sometimes my shopping areas are chosen based on the street food available.
Genes play a huge role and my daughter does exactly what I do. We have around 3-4 good markets in neighbourhood.
She would choose the one where shakarkandi bhaiya sells. Life is so easy when we make simple choices and food rules everything!
About the recipe
Recipe is simple, elegant and surely kids- friendly. I have used the ones which are locally available. They are white from inside when raw.
Hence a light yellow shade after I baked them. Since they grow in the ground, make sure to wash them properly.
Boil the sweet potato. Cool, mash and blend with sugar, spices, milk or milkmaid. Make a wheat dough slightly tight than usual. This makes the tart shells.
I have baked them blind for 2-3 min in OTG. (This means that baking the wheat tart without any filling). That gives the perfect texture and shape to the pie. If you dont have a tart utensil, You may use any baking bowl. I had mini ones available so I used them.
Then bake the tart shells with the filling !!
If you like the soft pie shell, you may skip the blind bake step and bake them at one go!
Can it be made Vegan ?
Yes! Simple replacement of milk/ milkmaid by vegan milk like coconut milk, almond milk or any other substitute. Desi ghee can be replaced by any vegan oil.
Can a diabetic have this pie?
Skip the sugar and milkmaid from the recipe and let the natural sugar of sweet potato be only sweet ingredient and …
If you stop at one, I may say yes!
Note: I am not a doctor and would suggest to consult your doctor before making the final call!
Nutrition Details of Sweet Potato
Sweet Potato are a bundle pack of fibre and nutrition. Being rich in Vitamin A, B, C, iron, calcium, they are a great food that maintain your gut-health too.
They are rich in starch and are fat-causing food is purely a myth!
In fact, they are not that starchy as our potatoes and for losing weight they can be considered a healthy in-between meal option. They have less calories than a potato. They have high water-content and hence maintain metabolism of body.
One may roast them and add spices with lemon juice!
Another Myth that surrounds Sweet potato is that diabetic should not have it!
Sweet potato has carbs like chapati, potato and other foods have. Does that mean a diabetic can’t have chapati and aloo subji??
A Big No!
Sweet Potato does’nt have empty calories like a candy. Its a fibre rich food and releases sugar slowly so it instead helps control the sugar levels and keeps you full for longer. It wont hurt the diet of either a diabetic or a weight-loss plan.
The thumb rule is portion control. Overdoing anything has its own repercussions!
Till I bring my next recipe to you, you enjoy this amazing one and remember to share your views with me!!
You may also like-
Sweet Potato Pie Eggless | How to make healthy sweet potato pie wheat tarts without egg
- 1 medium sweet potato boiled
- 3/4 cup Wheat flour
- 2 tablespoon Desi ghee
- 1.5 tablespoon sugar
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon and cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon milkmaid optional
- 1-2 tablespoon milk can replace with vegan milk
- a pinch salt
- a pinch baking soda optional
- Wash sweet potato under tap. Roughly chop in two-three chunks depending upon the size. Boil for 2 whistles on full and simmer for 2-3 min.
- In the meantime, we may prepare the pie/ tart shells. I have used wheat flour to make the dough. The dough shall not be loose like of bread rather slightly stiff one like poori or else the pie wont take the shape. Take wheat flour. Add desi ghee, little salt, baking powder and knead using water little by little.
- Gradually the dough gets collected
- It becomes one complete ball. Cover it with a cloth or lid in a bowl.
- By now, the cooker must have cooled off. Take out the boiled sweet potato. peel it off.
- Blend it using a fork in a large bowl.
- Add spices and sugar and mix well.
- Add desi ghee. Here Vegans can add any oil.
- As you must have noticed its dry. For the pie, we wish a smooth consistency. I have added Dairy milk little by litlle. Keep adding and mixing so that it doesnt become too runny. Around 1-2 tablespoon was okay for me. Vegans can add coconut milk or any other substitute.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Milkmaid. This is optional and one may just add more of the milk.
- Batter looks smooth
- Our dough must be ready. Place it in tart shell. If you dont have any, you may use any baking bowl. Stick the dough to the edges with hand movements and create a space for the filling along.
- I had baked the empty pie shells for 2-3 min in OTG at 200 degrees. Mine is old OTG and works quickly. You may skip this step if you want a soft crust.
- Add the fillings to the pie-shells. Bake them for 10 min at 200 degrees in OTG. You may do the knife-clean test.
- They look so drooling!!
- Enjoy your evening with these delicious sweet potato pie!!
|Serving size: 1 pie|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4.8g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 2.7g||14%|
|Total Carbohydrate 12.2g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||5%|
|Total Sugars 4.4g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?