Pumpkin Cutlet is a vegan pan-cooked cutlet made using raw pumpkin, boiled potatoes combined using the Besan (Chickpea flour), and bread crumbs.
I have chosen to pan cook them, one may deep fry them as well. If you give it a round shape, it would be similar to Pumpkin Tikki.
Though I love Pumpkin in any form specailly as kaddu ki subji but some people shy away from it. This crispy cutlet recipe assures that we can have indulge in anything other than potato. That's why I use a blend of potatoes and pumpkin here.
Those who try to avoid pumpkin, I really wish to stay here and read further.
Pumpkin is a fruit and not just a vegetable. We in India make kaddu using it, but trust me pumpkin has much more flavours to offer if we incorporate it in different ways. You may choose Pumpkin Recipes link to find more about it.
It is rich in Vitamin A, C, iron and potassium. It's zero cholesterol, low-Carbohydrate, low calorie and high fibre fruit.
Do you know it has more Vitamin A than Mango? Not just that. It has more iron, magnesium, proteins and fiber than Mango.
I love Mango too. What I wish to suggest is that Pumpkin is a super food too!
I have used here green shell pumpkin and it surely tastes better in savoury dishes. The orange one is sweet in nature and is more suitable for pumpkin desserts. One can make this spicy cutlets by using fresh green chillies or dry red chillies.
The oil I have used is mustard oil. One may use any other oil.
Can this Kaddu cutlet be made Gluten-free?
Yes. You may skip the bread crumbs and add besan/ chickpea flour for binding the mixture in dough. One may use gluten-free flours like Ragi or Buckwheat as well.
Briefing about the recipe, It's simple as I have used raw pumpkin along with boiled potatoes, besan, bread and spices. I had boiled potatoes leftover from yesterday's batch.
Potatoes help in binding. If you don't have boiled ones, either boil them for two whistles on full and simmer for 5-10 min. You may also skip potatoes and increase the besan and bread as they help in binding too.
Tips to make Cutlet
- Pumpkin leaves water so keep a check that your mixture shall not be watery. It shall bind into a dough (not very tight but not watery). The texture should be such that you can make any shape out of it.
- Like I have rolled them in cylinder ones, you may make a round Patti or balls. You may also add ghee/oil to bind the mixture and make it smooth. Adding oil also helps it to make non-sticky.
- I have taken a non-stick pan and shallow fried them, one may deep fry them as well. That said, Iron vessels are indeed best utensil for everyone.
- Don't reverse them soon. Let them cook in steam for 2-3 min. They will start leaving the pan and then use knife to lift them and gently reverse to cok from the other side.
You may also like:
If you make this recipe, share the image of it on our instagram account @veg.buffet or twitter account @vegbuffet.
Pumpkin Cutlet | How to make Pumpkin Cutlet
- 1 cup grated raw pumpkin
- 2-3 piece boiled potatoes
- 1 small green chilly
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ½ cup besan (Chickpea flour)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder (Lal Mirch)
- 1 piece bread small pieces
- 1 teaspoon Garm Masala
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- salt as per taste
- 1 tsp Desi ghee / oil optional, to mix in vegetable mixture
- 2 tablespoon mustard oil for shallow frying
- 2 teaspoon curd any vegan curd
- Take pumpkin and wash under running water. Cut it into large uneven chunks. Keep other ingredients ready. I had boiled potatoes left over from yesterday's batch. Potatoes help in binding. If you dont have boiled ones, either boil them for two whistles on full and simmer for 5-10 min. You may also skip potatoes and increase the besan and bread as they help in binding too.
- Grate Pumpkin in a large container. It would leave water But no worries, we will add besan , bread to absorb that water. I dont prefer to throw it as its very nutritious.
- Take boiled potatoes and grate them too in the above mixture.
- Add salt, spices,ginger garlic paste, curd, lemon juice and mix well. I have added green chilli and red chilli both. If you dont like spicy, skip or reduce them.
- Add besan and bread pieces and mix well. Once mixed well, you add ghee/oil for making shapes.
- I have made a cylindrical shape. You may make any shape of your interest.
- Keep making them and placing them in a clean plate with little gaps.
- Take a heavy bottomed or non-stick pan and heat mustard oil in it. once hot then place the cutlet in it with gaps.
- You may place as many as can be placed with gaps. Keep flame on high for 2 min and then simmer the flame.
- Cover them with lid for better cooking.
- It takes around 5 min to cook one side. Turn them over to cook from the other side. Since they are not deep fried, keep checking that they are not sticking to the pan. And rotate them in all directions to cook from all sides. One batch takes 5-10 min.
- The delicious pumpkin cutlet are ready!! Serve them with your choice of chutney!!
|Serving size: 2|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4.6g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 24.3g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.5g||16%|
|Total Sugars 3.4g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Share your Views