Do you feel bloated after having a restaurant tomato soup?
I felt the same and I had always loved the homemade Tomato soup as I can easily control what goes in. I can easily skip adding cornflour, cream, oil and instead add beets, carrots to have a refreshing warm bowl of healthy soup.
Healthy Tomato Soup means simply homemade soup with vegetables of your choice flavoured with bayleaf and garlic.
This soup is a blend of tomatoes, carrots, garlic, beetroots and it can be easily made under 20 minutes. If someone calls me half an hour before paying a visit, I dont panic.
All I have to do is figure out my pantry and see what soup can be made. Whether its a veg Clear soup or a mixed soup, I am confident that I have enough supplies to make any soup.
This is the best go-to with bread crumbs in winters. I just love the crunchy breads with any soups.
Honestly, I made this soup totally without oil or cream and the only oil I had was in the crumbs.
Not that a little oil would hurt your weight-loss journey. It was my choice to have soup without any oil.
If you dont have beets, you may add a small radish or turnip or amla (Indian gooseberry). One may add onions in this recipe also.
I always add Amla but this time I couldnt procure it so this soup was made without it. Since the flavour of Amla is sour, you may add about one -half of it for 4 bowl soups.
Adding beets to soup means not just the nutrition but also a stunning color to the soup.
The recipe is simple. Roughly chop the veggies and boil for two whistles. Once it cools off, blend and sieve. Boil and add salt and pepper.
One may add oil/ ghee and its totally fine to have 1 tsp ghee in 4- bowls of soups. Remember that Ghee is the healthy fat that our body needs.
For a thick soup, you need not add cornflour or Maida. Just add two carrots or one carrot one potato in this soup, you would naturally have a thick soup, so much so that you might need to add water.
While sieving, press harder and squeeze out the thick mesh of veggies at the bottom of the sieve. It helps gather more thick stuff.
Stories From Kitchen
Since childhood, I had always love Tomato soup. I believe that was also because we didn’t have much choice. The second option was Dal soup. I had enjoyed the restaurant soups as well till I realised that they were less of appetizers and more of meals.
There was a point when going to restaurant was practically just to have tomato soups and I was at a stage comparing which restaurant offered the best.
Tomato Soup is close to my heart and my daughter enjoyed this soup and it was her meal as she was really a fussy eater. Adopted and modified the recipe from Dassana from Veg recipes of India and must say that it was a big hit.
When I began my healthy journey, I decided to make my own soups so that I could add what I want and simply skip what I find just not okay.
How healthy is Tomato Soup?
I am sure you will agree upon the health quotient of tomato soup and for that matter any soup.
Its rich in fibre and vitamins from so many veggies put together for the boil! They surely are a great way to keep good digestion and metabolism.
Can soups really lead to weight-loss?
I come across this question often and my husband who is on a healthy regime, would keep questioning me about the calories and benefits of foods.
I think I really need to update myself as when I started a food blog, all I had on mind was to share my tricks of kitchen and have someone enjoy a great recipe.
Here I am now finding calories and what not!
Honestly, I am kind of enjoying it lately and perhaps sometimes we are not sure what we really want to do. An important person can unknowingly become the reason for what you are today!
Coming back to the question, yes it can surely help you lose weight if you make it the right way and not overdo things.
1 tsp of ghee or oil and a boiled mix of veggies and no corn flour or maida and nothing to enhance flavour as the natural flavour need never be disturbed. Team it with a slice of bread or rice and it can be a light meal.
Packed with nutrition of all veggies and a delicious treat in itself! A soup that is good for immunity and can easily ward off cold and cough!
What else on earth could be so promising!
Detailed Recipe with Steps
1)Gather all the ingredients and wash the veggies under tap. Peel carrot, garlic and beet. Take a pressure cooker and add bay leaf and garlic.
2) To the same cooker add roughly chopped veggies. Add water to soak them one inch deep. Boil for two whistle on full and 2 min on simmer.
3) Once it cools off completely, blend it with hand blender. All veggies shall be mushy and easy to blend.
4) Sieve this blend mixture into a pan and if the mixture is very thick, add water. Mine was totally fine and didnt add any extra water. Add salt.
Note: If you wish to add ghee/ oil, You may add it to pan and then sieve the stock of soup.
5) Add black pepper and boil it for 2 min. Adjust for the consistency you wish to have.
6) The healthy Tomato soup is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves. Enjoy it with bread crumbs or rice.
More Weight-loss Soup Recipes:
Tomato Soup For weight-loss
- Pressure Cooker
- 4-5 medium tomatoes
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 small beetroot
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 tsp ghee optional
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 tsp black pepper
- salt as per taste
- Gather all the ingredients and wash the veggies under tap. Peel carrot, garlic and beet. Take a pressure cooker and add bay leaf and garlic.
- To the same cooker add roughly chopped veggies. Add water to soak them one inch deep. Boil for two whistle on full and 2 min on simmer.
- Once it cools off completely, remove bay leaf an then blend it with hand blender. All veggies shall be mushy and easy to blend.
- Sieve this blend mixture into a pan and if the mixture is very thick, add water. Mine was totally fine and didnt add any extra water. Add salt. Note: If you wish to add ghee/ oil, You may add it to pan and then sieve the stock of soup.
- Add black pepper and boil it for 2 min. Adjust for the consistency you wish to have.
- The healthy Tomato soup is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves. Enjoy it with bread crumbs or rice.
|Serving size: 1 bowl|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0.3g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 9.4g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.4g||9%|
|Total Sugars 5.3g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?