Healthy Tomato Rice is a comfort easy recipe for rice lovers and if you are left with a bowl of rice, then its a super easy under 5 min recipes.
That assumes you have great chopping skills and if you are new to the cooking world, need not to worry as you would find this an amazing journey with me!
What is Gluten-free ?
Gluten is a protein found in grains like wheat, rye, barley, etc. and foods like breads, cake, biscuits, pasta etc. Gluten-free means a diet that excludes these grains and their products.
People with celiac disease are recommended gluten free diet. A few people are allergic to gluten and hence they prefer this diet. In few cases, its been observed that kids dont gain weight or height as the gluten in diet made them allergic somehow. Once they eliminated gluten from the diet, their growth curve started improving.
Can I make an One -Pot Rice with this recipe?
Yes! If you wish, you may make fresh rice using a single pot like pressure cooker or instant pot. All you have to do is the soak rice for around half an hour. I have used white boiled rice for this recipe.
I had these left over from previous day. Then use 2: 1 ratio for the pressure cooker, where 1 is rice and 2 is water. Give 2 full whistles and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
A simple trick to get amazing rice is never release the pressure in a hurry. During that process, rice become separated and look rich in texture. Let it get cool fully.
Rice Lovers Column
Who else loves the aroma when rice are being cooked?
It has a soothing effect on me and after a hearty meal of rice and dahi, I seriously sleep well!
Yes, Rice and curd. Thats the only combination I am in true love with. Thats the reason I need other than just the white rice. A gentle Tadka of onion, Tomato, Khade Masale and other spices all sizzling in desi ghee...
What else is a healthy treat?
So when I have a bowl of rice left from the previous meal or day, I have no worries. I make a little effort to have that extra bowl.
Who else keeps reducing the sauteed onions from the pan? Me too!
I feel little embarrassed to tell you that as a teenager when I was given a task to sautee onions, I would keep eating them while frying them..I really love the pink and translucent onions soaked in ghee.
Can these rice be made Vegan?
Yes by swapping the desi ghee with any other oil like coconut oil, refined oil, mustard oil this recipe is vegan. The veggies used are onion and tomato and few whole spices like Black pepper, bayleaf, Jeera (Cumin Seeeds).
Can I eat Rice on a diet plan?
This seems to be never-ending debate! I know rice has less fibre and more calories than wheat.
But does that mean for a diet plan, you would strike off all such foods from the menu?
I will not!
Why should I deprive myself of the other nutritive values that these other foods may offer? Why my body should be attuned just to fibre and no carbs?
Even for 10 days challenge!
I would prefer to have right proportion food at right time rather to omit it from my plate. I would have a less sugar tea , dinner latest by 8 pm and avoid sugars in dinner and have a home-cooked normal meal.
Thats how I lost around 8 kgs. Avoiding food you love is not a solution. You would always be inclined for the forbidden fruit!
More Rice Recipes
You may also like:
Healthy Tomato Rice| Easy Gluten-free Rice Recipes
- 2 cups boiled rice
- 1 medium onion chopped in small chunks
- 2 small tomato chopped in small chunks
- 1 small bayleaf
- 2-3 whole black peppers
- 1 teaspoon Jeera (Cumin)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilly powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder(haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Garm Masala
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice Amchur Powder
- salt as per taste
- 1 tablespoon Desi ghee can use any other oil
- 1-2 whole cloves (Laung) optional
- Gather all the ingredients. If you dont have boiled rice,, you may use raw rice as well. Soak the raw rice after cleaning for 20-30 min. Instead of a pan/ kadai use a pressure cooker to saute the onion and tomato. Once they are sauteed, add rice and add twice the water as that of rice (for one bowl of rice, two bowls of water). Cook for two full whistles and 2 min on simmer.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan/ kadai. Add desi ghee to it.
- Add whole spices and saute for less than a min on simmer.
- Add onions and cook till they are translucent. You may cook on full flame if you are standing right in front.
- Add all spices and make the fame simmer before you add spices or else they will be burnt.
- Add tomatoes and add little salt here so that tomatoes cook better.
- They take around 2 -3 min and for better results, covering with lid and checking on off helps.
- Add boiled rice, more salt and lemon juice and mix well.
- The delicious tomato rice are ready! Enjoy with curd!
|Serving size: 1 bowl|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3.5g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 43.7g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||5%|
|Total Sugars 2.6g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.|